Saturday, May 24, 2008

Tears

Memorial Day weekend has always been a fun one for me. It always signifies the start to summer ... but I have NEVER forgotten, nor allowed others to forget, why we "celebrate" it.
Both of my grandfathers fought in WWII, one for the Navy and one for the Marines. I always remembered them on this weekend.
Suddenly I am thrust into a new genre this year ... I am suddenly facing the fact that my precious husband is one of those men we are honoring this Memorial Day. My husband will one day call himself a Veteran.
I was watching the Cubs game this evening and saw the new Budweiser commercial. It shows troops in an airport walking from/to their plane and people in the airport start to clap. The screen fades to black and it simply says "thank you." I had to stop myself from crying into my dinner.
Let us not forget why we are all enjoying a long three day weekend. Let's remember those who have gone before us, who are gone now, and who will someday go. The are truly our heroes ... let's teach our children that. I am so sick of our "heroes" being from Hollywood. My Grandpas didn't fight for that. Neither will my husband.

No comments: